You might think that your dryer's lint trap is enough to protect your home from lint that accumulates while doing laundry, but did you know that lint also builds up in the dryer vent of your home? This build up can lead to serious problems, including house fires! Ensure you and your family's safety with a professional dryer vent cleaning with Dust Busters!
Importance of professional dryer vent cleaning
While the lint trap on your dryer collects most of the lint produced by clothing, some lint can get lodged into the dyer vent itself. The flexible dryer hose is especially prone to collecting lint with its ridges, corners and bends. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimate of 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is the failure to clean them. If the dryer vent is obstructed, or otherwise harmed, it can produce enough heat to ignite a fire. Dust Busters can help prevent the possibility of lint fires in the home with a professional dryer vent cleaning.
Warning signs of an obstructed dryer vent & risk of fire:
- Clothes are taking longer than normal to dry.
- Clothes come out of the dryer hotter than normal at the end of a standard drying cycle.
- The flapper on your exterior dryer vent doesn’t open when the dryer is on.
- Your dryer lint trap does not fit snugly (a loose fit will allow more lint into the vent).
- You have a flexible or plastic dryer vent hose.
- Your dryer is located a long distance from the exterior dryer vent.
- The route your dryer duct takes to get to the exterior dryer vent has many bends.
- You wash a lot of clothes that have been soiled with flammable materials such as gas, motor oil, cooking oil, etc.
Tips for reducing dryer lint build-up & keeping your home safe:
- Clean the dryer vent hose regularly.
- Use metal duct work and replace foil or plastic ducts with rigid or semi-rigid duct work which allow better air flow, are less flammable and have fewer places for lint to be trapped.
- Do not operate a dryer without the lint filter in place.
- Clean the lint trap between each load of laundry.
- Wash lint screens every few weeks to remove residue left by fabric softeners.
- Ensure the outdoor vent flap can open freely (leaves, bushes and snow can easily block the flap).
- Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to ensure the gas line and all connections are secure and free of leaks.
- Avoid overloading the dryer.
- Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
- Keep combustible chemicals away from your dryer.
- Do not store flammable items near your dryer (boxes, clothing, chemicals, etc.).
- Run the dryer only when you are at home.
- Use dryer ducts that are at least 4 inches in diameter.
- Secure all duct joints with metal tape.
- Install duct joints so that piece nearest the dryer is on the inside joint.
- Ensure dryer vents leave the home directly.
- Install a screen on the outside vent of the dryer duct to prevent animals from entering the duct.
Schedule a complete dryer vent cleaning with dust busters
The best way to keep your dryer vent clean is to have the professionals at Dust Busters clean and inspect your vents regularly. Proper maintenance and regular airflow checks ensure your dryer unit is working safely and at a prime efficiency. A clean dryer vent is also more energy efficient, so regular cleanings can save you money. Contact Dust Busters today to schedule a dryer vent cleaning with our professional technicians!